What is Cannabigerol or CBG?
As promising as cannbidiol oil (CBD) and gel capsules are for your body, mind and mood, CBD is not the only natural, herbal cannabinoids that may help sooth chronic pain and anxiety. Cannabigerol or CBG is usually found in much higher concentrations in hemp and hemp oil products, and it does not get you stoned.
Normally, CBG appears as a relatively low concentration intermediate in the plant, but recent breeding work has yielded cannabis and CBD hemp oils that contain much higher CBGA content. Thanks to an increasing understanding of cannabis science, and the genes that can cause the creation of above average amounts of CBGA, farmers are beginning to enhance their strains with this potentially healing cannabinoid.
Another helpful cannabinoid is beta-caryophyllene found in the essential oil of black pepper, oregano and can also be found in cannabis strains as well as many green, leafy vegetables. Studies show this particular cannabinoid may help protect the “good bacteria” in your gut and improve digestion. Ingesting cannabinoids has proved helpful for treating certain ulcers and decreasing swelling in many inflammatory and auto-immune disorders.
Many Patients Do Not Want to Feel “High”
The major drawback of THC is that many patients simply don’t want to get “high” and/or they are otherwise unable to tolerate high doses of the drug, which can limit its clinical usage for many patients.
Yet the cannabis sativa plant also contains numerous phytocannabinoids that are non-psychoactive and may be therapeutically useful. Here’s the big one: Cannabidiol or CBD is a major non-psychoactive component in cannabis that was once thought to be biologically inactive for humans, but has since been shown to have a wealth of health benefits for users.
For example, early findings in preclinical and clinical studies have shown CBD to have a wide range of therapeutic properties for anti-seizure, antioxidant, neuro-protective, anti-inflammatory, anti-tumor, anti-psychotic, and anti-anxiety
Normally, CBG appears as a relatively low concentration intermediate in the plant, but recent breeding work has yielded cannabis that has much higher CBGA content. Thanks to an increasing understanding of cannabis science, and the genes that can cause the creation of above average amounts of CBGA, farmers are beginning to enhance their strains with this potentially healing cannabinoid.
CBG Cannabinoid Packs Big Benefits
– Although there have been relatively few studies investigating pharmacological actions of CBG, research has found CBG to relieve intraocular pressure in the eye, which may be of benefit in the treatment of glaucoma, an age-related eye disease that causes blindness.
– In clinical animal studies, CBG has been shown to improve inflammatory bowel disease and colitis.
– CBG can inhibit the uptake of gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) in the brain, which can naturally decrease anxiety and mild depression. Studies published in the British Journal of Pharmacology claim, “CBG’s inhibition of gamma aminobutyric acid (GABA) suggests that it contains significant muscle relaxant properties.”
– Studies have also found that CBG has analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties that can relieve topical rashes, skin irritation, minor redness and itchiness. In these cases, CBG is shown to actually prevent and retard the spread of bacterial cells into surrounding tissues – so CBD acts as a natural anti-fungal agent.
7 More Huge Benefits of CBG
- CBG is an effective high dosage tool against some cancers and tumors
- It is the next most effective phytocannabinoid against breast cancer after CBD
- It is an antidepressant
- It is a mildly anti-hypertensive agent
- CBG inhibits skin irritation and redness in psoriasis
- It is a relatively potent application in prostate cancer and bladder pain
- It is powerful agent against MRSA infections and other drug-resistant bacteria
- CBG is a bone stimulant – meaning it helps promote bone growth and fracture healing
Research is ongoing, but the healing benefits of CBD and CBG are only just beginning, and they are already significantly helping the mind, body and spirit. We’ll keep you posted on new studies as they develop. Studies also suggest that CBG is a bone stimulant – meaning it helps promote bone growth, formation, and fracture healing.
Next Article: CBD Oils to Help Soothe Anxiety