Osteoporosis Research and CBD (Cannabidiol)
Cannabinoids and Orthopedic Health
CBD Oil and Bone Health, A Love Story? Researchers believe that cannabidol (CBD) has huge potential for the treatment of bone health. Not only can it potentially enhance fracture healing and promote bone growth, CBD can also be an effective future treatment for osteoporosis (literally “porous bones”) and arthritis (pain and/or inflammation in joints). In a 2016 study, a team... Continue
CBD Helps Combat Bone Disease 3 of 3
In part 3 of this 3-part series, we examine CBD’s role in treating arthritis. In parts 2 and 3 of our series on bone disease, we’ve looked at how CBD can heal fractures, promote bone growth and can potentially be an effective treatment for osteoporosis, but what else can it do? Another area in which researchers are very excited about... Continue
Endocannabinoid System – ECS the Secret To Balanced Health?
The Endocannabinoid System: The Secret To Balanced Health? “I would like to probably push ahead and tell people: Here we have a group of compounds… an endogenous system of major importance… it is not being used as much as it should be in the clinic… it is of great promise in the clinic… let’s try to push it forward.” –... Continue
Correct CBD Dosage – Best CBD Oil Dose
How much CBD should you take? Finding the correct CBD dosage Cannabidiol, or CBD, is the non-psychoactive ingredient in the cannabis sativa plant that has shown immense promise in the treatment of a variety of conditions. It also has no negative side effects, does not damage the body or mind, is not addictive, and cannot be overdosed on. But how... Continue
CBD Oil Bone Fracture Treatment – CBD Bone Health 2 of 3
Part One: CBD Oil Osteoporosis Treatment – CBD Bone Disease 1 of 3 In part 2 of this 3-part series, we examine how CBD is being used for treating osteoporosis. Osteoporosis (literally “porous bones”) is a very common condition that affects millions of people worldwide. It’s characterized by a decrease in the density of bone which can become compressible, like... Continue
History of CBD – USA Cannabis and Cannabidiol Movements
CBD Revolution In the U.S., the Cannabis and CBD movements are gaining huge momentum. Here’s what you need to know about the history of the plant and its miracle cannabinoid: CBD. A trip to Washington D.C. isn’t complete without taking in at least some of the sights and sounds of our Nation’s Capital. Usually the must-see plaOsteoporosis/Bone Healthces will include... Continue
CBD Oil Osteoporosis Treatment – CBD Bone Disease 1 of 3
Part Two: CBD Oil Bone Fracture Treatment – CBD Bone Health 2 of 3 In part 1 of this 3-part series, we examine how CBD can heal fractures and promote bone growth Israel has been a pioneer in medical cannabis research and development for more than 50 years. Backed by strong government support, the tiny middle eastern nation’s progressive approach... Continue
Non-Psychoactive CBD Oil – No High Cannabinoids
The 7 Most Helpful Cannabinoids That Won’t Get You High The cannabis plant, called Cannabis Sativa, is an amazing herb that produces over 421 chemical compounds. Of the 421, about 80 have been found to be terpeno-phenol compounds which have not been detected in any other plant. These 80 compounds that occur naturally in the cannabis plant are cannabinoids that... Continue
Osteoporosis Bone Health Research Continued
Normal bone is composed of protein, collagen, and calcium, all of which give bone its strength. But for people who suffer from osteoporosis, their bones become weak and fragile and are more prone to fracture.
Osteoporosis affected bones can break with relatively minor impact. Fractures can happen by cracking (as in a hip fracture) or collapsing (as in a compression fracture of the vertebrae of the spine). The spine, hips, ribs, and wrists are common areas of bone fractures from osteoporosis although osteoporosis-related fractures can occur in almost any skeletal bone.
Although studies have not been conducted to test the theory yet, researchers believe that CBD could be a promising treatment. Here’s what they know so far:
- Because bone cells contain the cannabinoid receptors CB1 and CB2 and the orphan receptor GPR55, studies have shown that endocannabinoids and their receptors are involved in the development of osteoporosis.
- By blocking CB1, CB2 and GPR55 in adult mice, researchers have been able to suppress bone resorption, increase bone mass and protect against bone loss. This suggests that inverse agonists/antagonists (such as CBD) of these receptors may help combat osteoporosis.
- In a different study with mice and CBD, the effect of knocking out GPR55 showed an increase in the amount of both cortical (outer surface) and trabecular (spongy) bone. The knockout mice were fatter and were protected against age related bone loss. These results suggest that blocking GPR55 with small molecules such as CBD may be beneficial in treating osteoporosis.
From these early studies, clearly CBD shows great potential for playing a future role in the treatment of osteoporosis. As the global population continues to age and healthcare costs rise, future studies into CBD for osteoporosis treatment will be crucial in reducing the heavy burden on society.
- CBD Enhances Fracture Healing and Stimulates Lysyl Hydroxylase Activity in Osteoblasts
- Cannabinoid receptors as target for treatment of osteoporosis: A tale of two therapies
- Cannabinoids and bone: Friend or foe?
- Cannabinoid receptor type 1 protects against age-related osteoporosis by regulating osteoblast and adipocyte differentiation in marrow stromal cells
- Cannabinoids and the skeleton: From marijuana to reversal of bone loss
- The endovanilloid/endocannabinoid system: A new potential target for osteoporosis therapy
- The endovanilloid/endocannabinoid system in human osteoclasts: Possible involvement in bone formation and resorption
- Endocannabinoids and the regulation of bone metabolism
- Cannabinoid receptors and the regulation of bone mass
- Natural products as alternative treatments for metabolic bone disorders and for maintenance of bone health
- Peripheral cannabinoid receptor, CB2, regulates bone mass
- Regulation of bone mass, bone loss and osteoclast activity by cannabinoid receptors
- Long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids may mutually benefit both obesity and osteoporosis
- Skeletal lipidomics: Regulation of bone metabolism by fatty acid amide family